What Rss Is And What It Can Do For You
Jim Green is the author of the bestselling Starting Your Own Business also published by How To Books, and has started and successfully run more than one small business. He is based in Glasgow.
Hard on the heels of blogging comes RSS (a family of XML file formats for web syndication used by news websites and weblogs) which although around since 1997, only gained media attention in 2004. Simply put, it is a straightforward technology for sharing and distributing stuff like data, news headlines and other web page content with other webmasters and users – and now more and more people are embracing RSS just like the time when email was first introduced.
BRAND NEW, UNTAPPED MARKETING CHANNEL
RSS is rapidly becoming the preferred method of distributing news and information online and informed users are subscribing to RSS feeds to read news online and to receive updates from their favourite publishers.
WHAT IT MEANS FOR YOU
It’s a brand new marketing channel to promote your products; a channel with enormous potential.
ELIMINATE THE SPAM FILTER NUISANCE
Spam is one of the biggest headaches faced by every online marketer. Email marketing is getting harder with each passing day. It is reported that as much as 38 per cent of all emails are being filtered by over-zealous ISPs.
You may have thousands of subscribers but only a handful is receiving your messages.
WHAT CAN YOU DO?
RSS provides an elegant solution. Send all your marketing messages, follow-ups and promotions directly to your subscribers desktop. No need to worry about spam complaints, filters, and the like.
DOES IT SOUND TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE?
Let me assure you, it’s all true.
RSS is still in its infancy but it won’t remain that way for long. Do a search for email on Google and you come up with 290 million results; do a search for RSS – only 41 million results.
When Microsoft’s support for RSS is finalised for Windows software, everyone will know about RSS. Over 90 per cent of all PCs connected to the internet are using Microsoft’s Windows software.
- Do you want to be a pioneer and profit from RSS?
- Or will you wait and watch as your competitors leave you in the dust?
THE MAJORITY OF THE ONLINE MARKETERS HAVE NEVER HEARD OF RSS
Their ignorance is to your advantage. Some have heard of RSS but ignored it. Some scratched their heads, trying to figure out what the fuss is all about...
HERE’S WHAT RSS CAN DO FOR YOU IN A NUTSHELL
- Get your site listed in Yahoo!’s latest RSS directory for free right now. This may not last forever as Yahoo! is currently on a blitz to populate their RSS directory. Once they have sufficient RSS feeds (contents), this window of opportunity may be closed forever. Why pay when you can be listed for free now?
- Update your websites with fresh, relevant contents – automatically – without writing a single word. Google loves sites that are updated daily. The spiders usually crawl twice a month – at the beginning and at the end of each month. But if your sites are updated daily with fresh contents, Google will come almost daily.
- RSS allows you to tell the world, and more importantly, the search engine spiders that you’ve updated your websites.
- Bait the search engine spiders and get them to crawl your site whenever you’ve added new contents. Why wait until the end of the month or the beginning of the month?
- RSS gives you a brand new, untapped marketing channel to display your ads, messages, and news directly onto your subscribers desktop.
- Many online marketers are still oblivious to this emerging marketing tool. You can leapfrog over them right now.
- Over-zealous ISPs can blacklist your host because you send too many emails messages/RSS provides the perfect solution.
- Get other webmasters to carry your articles, your messages on their websites without it costing you a penny (and you won’t have tediously to submit your articles either).
Imagine hundreds of other websites carrying your news and articles – imagine the extra exposure you will receive. What an incredible tool to build your credibility and brand name online – effortlessly.