We’re embracing lovely lavender on day ten. Lavender lovers unite! These scones make the perfect gift for anyone with a love for lavender. The floral flavour of the scone is definitely unique, making it an unusual yet delicious gift to receive. Even better still, they’re sugar-free meaning any of your friends can enjoy them regardless of their dietary requirements. Place it on a tiered stand for a quintessential afternoon tea theme!
Just as a word of warning: do be sure to only use more common types of English lavender, such as Lavandula angustifolia, sometimes called Lavandula officinalis or Lavandula spicata. This is because the tufty French lavender, Lavandula stoechas, can be toxic.
MAKES ABOUT 8–9 SCONES
225g (8oz) plain flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
40g (1½oz) butter, softened
10g (½oz) xylitol
About 5–10 spikes of lavender flowers, no more
150ml (¼ pint) semi-skimmed milk, warmed slightly
You will need a greased baking tray
Preheat the oven to 200ºC (fan ovens) or equivalent
1. Lay the lavender spikes on kitchen paper for a while to dry out and allow any minibeasts to leave. Remove all the florets from the stalks and shake them lightly in a sieve.
2. Sieve the flour, bicarbonate of soda and cream of tartar into a bowl large enough to give you room to manoeuvre.
3. Rub in the softened butter.
4. Stir in the xylitol and lavender.
5. Mix in the milk gradually, using an ordinary dinner knife.
6. Knead gently and place on a floured board.
7. Roll out quite thickly with a floured rolling pin to a depth of around 1½cm (3⁄4) ins.
8. Cut out with a 6cm (2in) fluted cutter.
9. Re-roll the trimmings and cut out again.
10. Bake on the prepared baking tray for 8–10 minutes until the scones are well risen and golden brown on top.
11. Cool on a wire rack. Eat warm or cold, with butter or clotted cream and fruit spread.
Although lavender is an unusual flavour, these scones are completely delicious! They really are perfect for anyone with a love for the floral flavour and their uniqueness makes them the perfect surprise gift for your friends and family.