Let’s be honest, one of our favourite foods is the pizza. Fact. Whether it is a homemade pizza or one from a takeaway, nothing beats the cheesy, innovative, flavoursome toppings that come on that doughy-based flatbread. Whilst ordering fast food at home does taste that extra bit yummy, we also know how bad this can be for us, so Kenny McGovern has come up with some great healthy recipes – including a pizza dough recipe that’ll get your calzone of choice – or any other pizza for that matter – tasting like it’s from Pizza Hut, Domino’s or any other large pizza chain. Here’s how…
How do I get a good crust on a pizza?
i) A good quality pizza pan designed with holes across the surface will help moisture escape as well as allowing the heat of the oven to brown the base
ii) A good quality pizza stone helps to conduct a high, dry heat, which will brown your crust underneath
How do I get restaurant quality pizza?
1) Place the pizza stone in the oven at the highest possible heat for an hour
2) Slide onto the bottom of the oven floor in the last few seconds of cooking
3) Less toppings really are more as your toppings won’t become soggy
4) Chop any vegetables very small to ensure they are cooked through and stay on the pizza base rather than fall off
1) Spicy Chicken and Sweetcorn Pizza
Chicken breast fillet
Cajun spice mix
Prepared pizza base
– Trim any excess fat from the chicken breast and cut into bite size pieces
– Place into a bowl with the Cajun spice mix, olive oil and lemon juice
– Mix well
– Arrange the chicken on a baking tray and cook for 20 minutes until cooked through
– Remove from the oven and set aside to cool
– Once cool, shred the chicken with a knife and fork
– Lightly oil a pizza tray and place the pizza base on top
– Spread the pizza sauce onto the base, add grated mozzarella cheese, shredded chicken and green pepper
– Place pizza on top of the very hot pizza stone and bake for 12 minutes or until the crust is golden and the cheese is melted
– Once cooked, remove from the oven and garnish with black pepper and oregano
– Slice and serve
– Cooked chicken will last in the fridge for up to two days
– Preheat the pizza stone in the oven for one hour at the highest possible heat to ensure you get that crust on the base
2) Pizza Toast
– Grill the bread on one side until golden
– Turn the bread over and divide one hand of grated mozzarella cheese over each slice
– Add the tomato slices and cover with the remaining mozzarella cheese
– Place the pizza toast back under the grill until the cheese melts and becomes golden
– Garnish with black pepper and dried oregano
– Place back under the grill to warm the herbs
– Cut the pizza toast into triangles and serve with chilli sauce, spiced onions or jalapeno peppers
Make your favourite fast-food and takeaway dishes at home!
This new and updated edition of The Takeaway Secret offers a wide selection of popular recipes included in the hugely successful original title, as well as over twenty brand new recipes and new handy hints to ensure the reader's home-made dishes look and taste exactly like those offered by their favourite fast-food restaurant or takeaway.
Existing recipes such as Lamb Doner Kebab with Chilli Sauce and Southern Fried Chicken have been updated, accompanied by a wide range of brand new recipes including Pizza Crunch, Chicken in Salt & Chilli and Mac 'n' Cheese Bites. You'll also find some Japanese and Thai favourites, plus sandwich and tortilla fillings.
There are delicious desserts, too - including banana muffins, chocolate chip cookies and fudge cake - for those days when only something sweet will do.
With this definitive collection of takeaway recipes, you'll be able to sample American Fast Food, Kebab Shop cuisine, exotic Chinese and Indian flavours, and tasty Pizza and Chip Shop recipes, all from the comfort of your own home - and at half the price!